BACKGROUND INFORMATION – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – IPAS
Based in UNOPS Headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) unit provides strategic project implementation advice and operational support services to field offices under the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR), Asia Regional Office (AR), Middle East Regional Office (MR), Africa Regional Office (AFR), the Peace and Security Cluster, and UNOPS HQ units for HR and Legal support.
IPAS provides support in the areas of Procurement, Legal, Finance, Human Resources and Admin. By collecting and analyzing information on interactions with several offices, IPAS creates training plans and makes recommendations for more efficient project implementation processes.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
The Finance Intern reports to the Finance Specialist who provides broad supervision and guidance to the IPAS Finance team.
The Finance Intern will support the team on a wide range of finance processes, having hands-on practical daily work and operations as well as being on the front line with internal and external parties such as colleagues in HQ and in the field offices. The Finance Intern will be responsible for delivering the assigned tasks in a collaborative, timely and efficient manner.
The Finance Intern will have great opportunities for learning and expanding knowledge and experience within the areas of finance as well as process improvements and system developments.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Advisory, Monitoring & Oversight and Banking & Treasury Operations teams
- Assist in finance related knowledge management activities
- Take part to the implementation of team projects
1.SUPPORT THE ADVISORY, MONITORING & OVERSIGHT AND BANKING & TREASURY OPERATIONS TEAMS
- Support the different teams on a wide range of tasks related to reconciliation and analysis of financial data.
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and yearly closure exercise in regards to data collection, review and analysis.
- Assists with compilation and consolidation of data.
- Communicates with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information.
- Reviews supporting documents ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Assists in drafting reports and minutes during the meetings.
- Provides support on ad-hoc matters.
2. ASSIST IN FINANCE RELATED KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
- Assists with development of training materials and guidance notes.
- Supports with system development and process improvement initiatives
3. TAKE PART TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF TEAM PROJECTS
- Provide support in the development of finance innovative solutions
- Support the development and maintenance of the unit’s intranet page.
Impact of results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency and success of the IPAS Finance team in its goal
to serve the field offices, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges.
Timely, accurate and strategic guidance and advisory from IPAS ensures the appropriate delivery of services
of UNOPS projects and enhance UNOPS credibility in use of financial resources.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Applicants must be enrolled in a university degree such as a Bachelor, Masters, or have graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship.
The preferred candidate would have a degree in or pursuing studies in the areas of finance, economics, business, accounting, administration, management, international relations or other related areas.
Experience in use of ERP system is an asset
Experience in use of SharePoint is an asset
Desirable working knowledge of French and/or Spanish
Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.