Background information – IPMG
UNOPS strategic focus places increased emphasis on national capacity development and sustainable approaches to project management, procurement and infrastructure services. A key objective is to be recognized as an organization that delivers world-class infrastructure and project management, which is both economically and socially sustainable, even in the most challenging environments. To achieve this goal, UNOPS has established the Infrastructure and Project Management Group (IPMG).
Within UNOPS, IPMG’s objectives are to serve the organization’s personnel and partners by broadening their infrastructure and project management capabilities, while disseminating best-practices in both of these areas. Through this work, the group helps facilitate the successful delivery of programmes and projects around the world.
To achieve its objectives, IPMG has established three interrelated and interdependent work streams: Engagement Assurance, Strategic Positioning, Standards.
- Engagement Assurance work stream supports the successful development, design, and delivery of engagements to help reduce organizational risk and improve project performance.
- Strategic Initiatives focuses on thought leadership in infrastructure and project management, supporting the strategic position of the organization and developing and piloting new products and services.
- Standards work stream aims to reduce organizational risks, improve project performance, and promote excellence across UNOPS projects by having fit for purpose infrastructure and project management standards in place.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Engagement Assurance work stream includes the Design Review team. The Senior Structural Engineer will provide the technical support services and qualifications to Design Review as part of their regular evaluation of infrastructure designs submitted by UNOPS’ global project offices. The Structural Engineer will work in support of Engagement Assurance and Standards streams, and may also work directly on behalf of projects.
The Structural Engineer will play a key role in ensuring the safety and quality of UNOPS infrastructure works. On a request basis from IPMG and country offices, the Structural Engineer will be expected to fulfil the following responsibilities in line with industry standards and applicable national and international codes and guidelines:
1. Technical review of design documentation
Review structural design drawings and calculations, technical specifications, and bill of quantities (BOQs) in terms of accuracy and suitability to overall design objectives, identifying aspects where designs do not align with applicable, technical codes and standards and also established IPMG policies and technical design guidance, and providing detailed comment for design improvement.
2. Support to design development
Applying technical expertise and professional experience, the Structural Engineer will support projects by providing technical guidance in the development and/or implementation of structural designs to achieve technical objectives through independent, 3rd party design review and also possible direct field support.
3. Application of professional judgment
To ensure protection of life/safety, functionality and fitness of purpose while recognizing the circumstances and constraints of the UNOPS operational context, the Structural Engineer will be required to apply professional judgment in the technical assessment and mitigation of project design risks and ranking of importance for recommended design adjustments.
4. Independence, integrity, and objectivity
In the performance of professional services, the Structural Engineer will act as an independent technical expert person, free of conflicts of interests, and must be able to maintain the integrity of his/her technical opinion.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with specialty in Structural Engineering from an accredited university.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s Degree (total 9 years of experience).
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in structural engineering with expertise in civil engineering such as rehabilitation and construction of new building and transport infrastructures (bridges, retaining walls, drainage culverts, etc.), is required
- At least 1 year of experience in design and calculations of complex structural systems is required .
- Understanding of and experience with structural modeling, geotechnical analysis including considerations for seismic impacts and liquefaction, and calculations of the stability, strength and rigidity of structures, including loads, stresses and safety factors, among others is highly desired
- Understanding of and experience with the physical laws and empirical knowledge of the structural performance of different materials and geometries is highly desired.
- Understanding of and experience in applications of structural engineering design within a developing country context is highly desired.
- Knowledge of sustainable and resilient approaches to structural engineering and green technologies is an asset is desired.
- Knowledge of seismic-resistant design and calculations is an asset.
- Knowledge of specific areas such as coastal, airports and energy infrastructures is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency either in Spanish OR French is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: I-ICA 3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.