Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale. Background PCG
The mission of the People and Change Group (PCG) is to empower effective leadership and high-performing talent and to enable business transformation through change management,pursuit of organizational excellence and a culture of innovation. We have a solid team of experienced professionals with strategic HR management, organizational design, change management expertise – all of us having a passion for achieving results and building innovation into our way of doing business. To get the job done, we are structured into 2 work streams: People and Change.
The Human Resources Specialist will contribute to, and shape the work of the People Stream, comprised of talent management, learning, outreach and policy.
Function / Expected Results – contribution to HR practice and strategy implementation
This is an opportunity to shape UNOPS global approach to talent management and performance management. We are looking for an HR Specialist to work in talent management, with solid experience and expertise in Performance Management and at least one of the following areas:
- Career Development and Career Development support
- Talent management and succession planning
- International HR Management
This is an important role for PCG, in supporting its mission and strategy. The role has a global scope and will play a key role in shaping UNOPS HR practices, and moving performance management and its approach to career development to the next level.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Talent Management, the main functional responsibilities will include:
Individual performance management
- Taking ownership of the performance management process design and management in UNOPS
- Pro-actively lead activities around performance planning and evaluation advice, incl. performance management mediation
- Design and lead progressive initiatives around capacity building of global workforce, incl. design, planning and facilitation of thematic training/ workshops.
- Provide communication material and design campaigns around Performance management
- Acting as a pro-active subject matter expert for senior management and other relevant stakeholders
- Pro-actively shape the organizations approach to career development.
- Closely works with relevant stakeholders to ensure career development tools/practices are aligned with organisational needs.
- Lead the development of relevant training opportunities and programmes in close collaboration with the learning team.
- Design, implements and oversees programmes aimed to support the career development of specific groups of personnel, e.g. national personnel.
- Lead the development of progressive and state of the art career development tools and practices.
- Actively drive the implementation of best practices in these areas, at a global scale.
- Provides individual career development support.
- Contribute to shaping organisational approaches for talent management.
- Contribute with the state of the art tools/practices for enhancing current talent management approaches.
- Provide sound advice to senior management and other relevant stakeholders
Any additional tasks as required to support the delivery of the PCG’s mission and strategy.
The ideal candidate will already be working as an HR Specialist, with a proven track record in one or more of the areas mentioned above, a sound understanding of international HR best practices, together with an open mind for innovation, while being focused on delivering practical solutions.
The successful candidate will be equally comfortable providing advice to management and personnel on HR issues, and acting as an HR business partner, as well as coordinating the development and roll out of global HR programmes.
The ideal candidate will have an international outlook, experience working in a global or international organization, ideally with a range of experience from both public and private sector.
Impact of results:
The results of the HR Specialist contribute to the effective implementation of the organizational goals, specifically the people objectives.
The HR Specialist will contribute to enhanced and improved HR management practice globally, assessing the impact of changes and ensuring their development and implementation in the field offices. The HR Specialist will drive Performance Management as well as its approach to Career Development to the next level.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- An advanced degree in human resources, management, learning and development, communications, business studies or international affairs or a related field, with additional minimum five (5) years of relevant working experience.
- Candidates with seven (7) years of professional experience, and a bachelors degree, in lieu of an advanced degree, may be considered.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Human Resources related areas such as Performance Management, Career Development, Talent Management, HR Policy, Recruitment, or a combination of the above is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working in an international environment or international organization is desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in Individual performance management is required.
- Practical experience in capacity development in the area of Performance Management is highly desirable.
- Experience in the area of Career Development is a distinct advantage.
- Practical experience in conceptualizing new approaches and innovation in the area of Human Resources, ideally on a global scale, is desirable.
- Practical experience in designing programmes and training material is an asset.
- Experience with state of the art Performance Management approaches is an asset.
- Performance-based rewards and recognition system experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in another UNOPS official language (French and / or Spanish) is a distinct advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA_2 (ICS 10)
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.