Background Information – Job-specific
Water and Energy Cluster
Based in Copenhagen, the UNOPS Water and Energy Cluster provides specialized project management services to partners such as the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF). Together with partners, the cluster executes projects that support sustainable development by:
- promoting international cooperation to prevent and reverse environmental degradation of international water systems
- enhancing the resilience of communities and eco-systems to climate change
- lowering emissions by bridging renewable energy solutions
- developing Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions to strengthen climate-resilient development
Reporting to the HR Associate, the HR Assistant is responsible for providing support to HR initiatives in the area of recruitment & talent management, learning, organizational development or business advisory services, transactional work and project management. The HR Assistant serves as a contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
The HR Unit works in close collaboration with the Program, Project and Operations personnel of WEC, and with UNOPS HQ staff, to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery
1. Ensures implementation of HR strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including filing of relevant documents for audit purposes.
2. Implements HR services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of requests for recruitment of personnel, ensuring documentation is complete and in conformity with recruitment policies and procedures. Monitoring and tracking status of requests, and initiating follow up action to ensure submission are timely, accurate and contain complete documentation.
- Review of Terms of Reference or Job Descriptions, and consultations with Requesting Officer regarding any discrepancies between its content and the recommended level of remuneration.
- Preparation of Offer of Appointment or Assignment, contracts and other related documentation, including for the signature of designated official.
- Proactive customer service to clients, alerting the supervisor of any problems or delays in the stages of the recruitment process. Facilitating provision of induction to new personnel.
- Briefing and guidance to clients and partners on the application and interpretation of recruitment policies and procedures. Update and maintenance of information in recruitment systems to allow accurate statistical reporting.
- Response to human resources queries from personnel in the unit and to requests for information on employment and recruitment status.
- Facilitating of visa applications, UN ID and LP applications and establishment of a tracking system.
- Process and follow up on payroll verifications.
- Extraction and input of data from various sources in the human resource database.
- Review of supporting documentation for processing various HR actions.
- Verification of benefits and other human resource-related claims for accuracy and conformance with personnel rules and regulations.
- Assistance to supervisor in monitoring the contractual status of all personnel on various appointments based in immediate location or within the office’s mandate; monitoring of service increment schedules and timely preparation and issuance of contract renewals and personnel action forms.
- Checking and maintenance of attendance registers, leave reports, DSA forms and other forms and reports, etc.
- Maintenance of personnel files for all personnel, ensuring all documentation is complete; maintenance and update of confidential personnel information and documents, ensuring relevant documents are kept in their respective files.
- Search, retrieval, compilation, assembly and archival of a variety of HR statistical data from computer files, records, reports or from other sources for external use.
- Collection and maintenance of information on commercial, private and inter agency training schedules and institutions (course schedules, curricula, and cost).
- Assistance in the preparation of administrative reports; drafting of routine correspondence; arrangement for briefings and debriefings.
- UNOPS and UN-issued Human Resource and Personnel policy manuals, rules, regulations, guidelines, and circulars, followed in full.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/project personnel on HR.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
4. Completes any other relevant task, as assigned by supervisor.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Secondary Education with 4 years of relevant experience and specialized certification in HR required.
- University Degree (Bachelors or Masters) in HR, Business or Public Administration would be strongly desirable.
- HR certification, particularly the UNOPS HR Essentials certification or similar, would be considered a significant asset.
- 4 years of progressively responsible HR experience is required at the national or international level. UN/UNOPS experience is highly desired.
- In case of relevant University Degree, some of the required experience may be discounted.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and experience in handling of web-based systems required.
- Experience using corporate recruitment and ERP systems (GPRS and oneUNOPS or similar) would be an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Regular Monthly, Local Individual Contract Agreement
Contract level: LICA-4
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.