Who are we and what can you gain?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our vision is to develop smart UN facilities which are: Optimal and efficient, Efficient in management and Sustainable, implemented to build modern age UNDP facilities around the globe that are fully aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/OIMT Green Energy internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. Furthermore, during the internship you will have the opportunity to obtain official certifications in project management in controlled environment and IT service management best practices.
Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
To promote and implement green energy solutions to UNDP country offices worldwide, establishing Smart UN facilities. You are expected to take initiative in assisting our offices at each stage of the Seven Step Solar Solution process (recognized best practice for UNDP sustainable energy implementation) to size, procure and install solar system worldwide.
1.Engineering and administrative support
- Handle requests and data collection;
- Provide guidelines on energy efficient solutions to country offices;
- Provide support to optimize usage of diesel generators in UNDP offices;
- Facilitate deployment of gensets monitoring solutions;
- Facilitate installation of Power Consumption Monitoring and Measuring (PCMM) units in country offices worldwide;
- Chair and participate in global conference call with country offices around the world;
- Support colleagues in administrative assignments and other ad hoc duties.
2.Feasibility analysis and procurement support for solar hybrid systems
- Develop business cases and financial overview for renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems);
- Liaison with service providers to facilitate procurement and site survey at UNDP Country Offices;
- Facilitate and provide technical evaluation during the procurement of renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems) in country offices worldwide;
- Engage with solar/green energy companies and do market research to develop sustainable and innovative green energy solutions.
3.Project management and development of good practices
- Support in daily monitoring and operation of installed renewable solutions;
- Support in developing best practices for gensets monitoring;
- Enable project management support during the installation of renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems) in UNDP country offices worldwide;
- Develop quality focused procedures, instructions and templates from best practice and disseminate through a Practice Community;
- Promote green energy solutions through revamping intranet page, preparing pamphlets, procedures and information notes.
Competencies and Attitudes of Best Candidate:
- Has interest and understanding of renewable energy engineering, sustainable development-oriented areas of work;
- Interest in developing sustainable solutions for UNDP country offices around the world, focusing on green energy and energy efficiency;
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Technical skills of best Candidate
- Electrical/Energy engineering knowledge is required;
- Technical knowledge of the main renewable energy technologies;
- Knowledge of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products;
- Work with gathering, consolidating and analysing data from databases and reports;
- Experience in sizing Hybrid PV systems (with diesel generator) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of gensets operation, synchronization and monitoring is an advantage;
- Knowledge of MATLAB, Python and HOMER is an advantage;
- Knowledge of French and other UN languages is an advantage.
Applying your Skills Beyond Green Energy
- Developing of Knowledge Management (KM) platform;
- Promote the OIMT’s overall UN Smart Facilities strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum green energy, ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions;
- Work with Microsoft SharePoint applications, design intranet pages to share information with Country Offices;
- UNDP OIMT unit is ISO 9001:2015, ISO 20000:2011 and ISO 27001:2013 certified, thus all works shall be compliant with the international standard with focus on high quality, continuous improvements and customer satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience
Pre-requisite for candidate (to be shown in CV)
- You must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree; or
- You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- You have graduated no longer than 1 year to the deadline of the application from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of renewable energy engineering, electrical engineering or in a related field.
- Fluent in written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of French and other UN languages is an advantage;
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship; however, you will gain valuable insight into UNDP and a global network;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- If selected, the intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education programme;
- Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark. (The official portal for foreign national who wish to visit, live or work in Denmark: New to Denmark);
- The intern will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
How to Apply
Do not miss out on this opportunity to be a part of this international team and apply through the UDNP Jobs Platform by the 27th September 2019, midnight (CET).
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview following the deadline. If you have any questions, please write to us via email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.undp.org.