Background Information – Job-specific
The purpose of the Internal Audit and Investigations Group (IAIG) is to provide independent and impartial assurance and advice to improve UNOPS operations. The IAIG reports on the use of resources administered by UNOPS and the effectiveness of internal control systems; and enhances the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Furthermore, the IAIG leads the Executive Director’s investigations into alleged fraud, corruption, waste of resources, abuse of authority or other misconduct and violations of UNOPS regulations, rules and administrative instructions.
Under the over-all guidance and supervision of the Director, IAIG, the Internal Auditor shall report to the Manager of the Internal Audit Section of IAIG at Headquarters, Copenhagen and is required to support all audit staff within IAIG as deemed appropriate. He/She shall contribute to the implementation of the annual internal audit work plan and the Group’s initiatives as well as provide administrative assistance ensuring high quality, efficient and effective execution of internal audit and advisory services. The Internal Auditor promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
Under the overall supervision of the Manager of the Internal Audit Section and the general guidance of the Director, IAIG, the Internal Auditor will perform independently internal audits either as team member or team leader, as assigned. The Internal Auditor will assume responsibility and accountability for achieving the audit objectives in accordance with the IIA Standards and IAIG policies and procedures. This involves financial, operational, performance and compliance audits and the following related activities:
Internal Audit work on organizational units and/or processes:
- Preparing risk-based audit plans/programmes.
- Coordinating, preparing and/or contributing to the annual risk assessment for the audit of UNOPS business units.
- Conducting entire internal audits/reviews from planning, field work, to report finalization.
- Preparing working papers, documenting adequately work performed and review (where appropriate) that of other team members.
- Preparing and conducting (as appropriate) exit conference communication, in collaboration with the Manager Internal Audit Section and/or Director, IAIG where necessary.
- Preparing quality draft audit reports.
- Finalizing audit reports, incorporating auditees’ answers and IAIG management’s feedback.
- Communicating orally and in writing audit results to management.
- Undertaking frequent, and at times extended, missions to UNOPS offices, including to areas with hazardous working conditions.
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of Continuous Auditing and Data Analytics Exercises, as well as conducting periodic engagements with business units by employing assigned data analytics tests.
- Own different test queries assigned by the Manager of the Internal Audit Section.
- Report findings, including preparing reports based on anomalies identified with the use of data analytics.
- Identify continuous and proactive audit techniques and implement within the Unit.
Project Audit work:
- Review project agreements with regard to audit clauses and proposed project audit terms of references for the areas assigned to him/her.
- Review draft and final project audit reports.
- Coordinate the project audit and liaise with the External Consultants
- Raise issues with project management and IAIG management as appropriate.
- Prepare submittals of project audit reports for final issuance.
- Manage contacts to audit firms under long-term agreement with UNOPS, for the areas assigned to him/her.
General Contributions and Responsibilities:
- Monitors the status of audit recommendations and appraises adequacy of action taken thereon by management.
- Identifies recurring and systemic issues in audit reports for inclusion in corporate reports.
- When working as engagement lead, provides direction and guidance to, and coaches team members ensuring effective team functioning; assesses the team members’ performance in a participatory manner and documents lessons learned.[AV3]
- Contributes to the ongoing development of professional practices and knowledge management within IAIG and for oneself, including internal and external quality assessments.
- Performs other assignments or related tasks as determined by the Director, IAIG; e.g. advisory services on audit matters or support to investigations/ fact-finding work (e.g. forensic accounting, interviews), working with the Lead Investigator.
- Prepare and coordinate the IAIG Annual Report for submission to the Executive Board.
- Abides by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Closely work with Wrike to monitor his/her deadlines and if requested by the Manager Audit Section and the audit team’s daily objectives.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in accounting, audit, business or public administration, economics, commerce or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in combination with professional audit certification and 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professional certification in the related field such as Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or equivalent is highly desired.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in internal/external audit is required;
- Knowledge of IPSAS or other internationally recognized accounting standards is highly desirable.
- Working experience in audit with an international organization (UN system, international development) and in self-financing entity is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to use at least one of the following tools is required:
o Presentation software applications
o Electronic audit management software
o Computer assisted audit techniques (e.g. IDEA)
o Relevent Data Analytics and Continuous Audit Tools
- Knowledge of Wrike, or similar team management tool is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with ERP, such as Oracle or Agresso is considered a plus.
- Fluent in English with proven ability to express well verbally and in writing is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff Contract level: P-4
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.